Vocational Services Report
Adelaide and Mount Lofty Coastal Youth Ambassadors Training Program
Are you 13-15 years old? Love the beach and the outdoors? Want to learn how to protect our environment? The Coastal Youth Ambassadors Training Program gives young people the training and resources to immerse yourself in the marine environment in order to protect the coast through exciting activities like kayaking and snorkelling! The program runs from 20-24 January 2020. Applications close 5 January. Limited places, book today! Email Mrs McDonald for more information.
Go to http://tiny.cc/coastal-youth-ambassadors for more details and to book.
Bruce Hartwig Flying School Open Day
The Bruce Hartwig Flying School will be holding an Open Day on Saturday 7 December. The Associate Degree in Aviation is offered in conjunction with RMIT and will be having an intake in February 2020. For more information look up the Bruce Hartwig Flying School Facebook page.
Saturday 7 December, 10am-2pm, 9 Dakota Drive, Parafield Airport.
Year 12 “Careers Corner Special Edition”
Parents of Year 12 students please note that a special newsletter has been emailed out to all Year 12s which is a handy reference document for all things SATAC and TAFE. If you would like to also read a copy of this newsletter please don’t hesitate to contact me! This document contains information about the following;
- alternate pathways into university
- key dates for SACE, SATAC and TAFE
- information sessions at Universities
- results day counselling sessions
All universities offer a variety of scholarships, sometimes that money is not always allocated! It’s worth a look at their websites to see if you be eligible to apply.
University of Adelaide: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/scholarships/university-scholarships
Flinders University: https://students.flinders.edu.au/finances-and-admin/support/scholarships
SACE / SATAC Diary Dates
2 December: SATAC Equal Consideration Deadline (6 courses you’re interested in must be listed)
17 December: SACE Results day. Careers Office is open, call the Front Office for an appointment.
18 December: SATAC Change of Preference Deadline
20 December: First Offer Round
6 January: COP deadline
6-8 January: SATAC processing, website closed
8 January: 12 noon offers online
After this date, any Course Admission Requirements must be made by the Tuesday for the following Friday offers beginning Friday 17 January for courses with vacancies.
The Universities have some excellent publications/videos/webinars/preparation courses that will be occurring over the next month.
- “What’s next?” webinar 11 December
- “Uni Life” webinar 12 December
- Flinders come to the City! 18 December, 1-6pm, State Library Adelaide.
- Flinders Uni Bedford Park campus Information Session, 18 December, 10am-7pm.
- Elite Athlete Pathway apply for your course via SATAC and direct to Flinders. For athletes, coaches and officials. Now has work placements with Adelaide United.
- “Science Ready for Health Science” support and prepare for Health Sciences course. Haven’t studied Science for a while? Nervous returning to Health Science? Want an advantage? Online and on-campus short course. unisa.edu.au/health/scienceready registration closes 7 February. Fees apply.
- No Maths Methods? Want to study engineering? Apply via SATAC and UniSA will contact you for this preparation course. Entry to B Engineering upon successful completion. unisa.edu.au/maths-short-course $350
- New website just for future students unisa.edu.au/studyin2020
- Drop in session, December 18, 3.30-6.30pm, Yungondi Building, City West.
- UniSA’s “What’s next?” video is now on YouTube, “How to enrol” will be up in early December.
For more information on any of the above please email Lisa McDonald on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 8334 9300.
Articles/Resources: Below are a few handy articles and resources that you may find helpful;
SATAC key dates
Career Tools at Saint Ignatius (a one stop shop for everything careers and VET)
Understanding the ATAR/Scaling
Ways to gain access to University other than an ATAR
Information on apprenticeships and traineeships
The Beyond School Study Guide (a guide to financial assistance when studying)
Course Seeker (a handy resource for all university courses in Australia)
Job Outlook – your starting point for Australian Careers
Job Jumpstart – resources for gaining employment