Vocational Services Report
“Festival of Your Future” Term 3
The 2020 “Festival of Your Future” program is in full swing, with a range of guest speakers from all three of the larger South Australian universities coming to speak to students as a cohort.
Next week’s events
Friday 28 August - UniSA Year 12 1:1 discussions, library all day
- Flinders Unitest - Wednesday Week 9, 8:00am, register with Mrs McDonald
- Mentor’s Breakfast - Friday, Week 1, Term 4
- Careers in Law, Business and Economics - lunch presentation 31 August
- 25 August - UniSA Mawson Lakes
- 26 August - UniSA Magill Campus
Below are some handy websites and resources you might find helpful when exploring careers with your son/ daughter.
The Careers Department
A brand-new exciting addition to our offering this year is a new resource available to all students called The Careers Department. All students will be able to access this resource which has many interactive activities to enhance their career development.
The Year 10s have utilised this website in lieu of the Careers Market and will be participating in Virtual Work Experience! However, all students are welcome to explore this site. Years 11 and 12 have already commenced workshops in PC and the Year 9s are next!
The Careers Department is a digital resource built in partnership with schools over the past four years, which we truly believe will be meaningful for your student’s career exploration and planning, while supporting and boosting student engagement.
This resource features:
- Virtual Tours
- Virtual work experience
- Video, audio, galleries, interactive job maps and 360 virtual reality content
- Career profiling
- CV Builder and Scholarship Finder/Application Builder
To access The Careers Department students can go to www.thecareersdepartment.com and create a log in using the password SIC. To watch a recording on how to get started on the Careers Department watch this video https://vimeo.com/402783436
Last year, the College invested in a new Careers resource which has been proving very helpful for both students and parents. The Career Tools website is a one stop shop for everything you need with Career planning, SACE and life in general! On this site you can find information on SACE, VET, Career quizzes, Uni Admissions, Work Experience, Gap Years, finding a job, writing a resume, Defence Careers and Youth Allowance ... just to name a few!
To find Career Tools click on the yellow Careers Tab on the SEQTA Homepage.
New features on Career Tools:
Interstate University Virtual Tours:
On the University Open Days page at Post School Options > University > Uni Open Days/Virtual Tours, there are now links to any virtual tours the uni offers.
University Course Guides:
In the Uni Info page at Post School Options > University > Info about Uni's and Courses, there are now links to all the Uni course guides.
Other useful websites that we use at school for Career Education:
Course Seeker – for searching up courses all over Australia
Bullseye posters and Jobguide:
SATAC applications August 3 – September 30
- August 28 - Students who have nominated to utilise University of Adelaide’s Year 11 pathway have until August 28 to set up an account with SATAC and nominate their preferences, with UofA as their first preference. After the 28th they can then change their preferences and utilise the standard offer round. This conditional offer will be made late September.
- September 30 - To avoid a late fee, students should register, state in at least one preference, set up a log in and pay $45. In doing so, this buys students some time to think about another possible five courses to include into their application. Payment after this date incurs a late fee of $185. Last day for applications to Medicine, Dentistry, Oral Health at University of Adelaide. No late applications accepted.
- October 31 - last chance to pay for STAT test to avoid a late fee. Fee $170, late fee $256.
- November 2 - final date for B Creative Arts (Drama) Flinders. No late applications accepted.
- December 1 - last date for equal consideration, students must put all six preferences into their application to be considered equally. Closing date for Medicine Flinders, OT, Speech and Physio Uof A. No late applications accepted.
- January 7 2021 - Change of preference deadline. Last date to finalise the order of their preferences for the January offer round.
Please note - There will be no early December offer in 2020.
- January 15, 28 and Feb 2 2021 - Offer Rounds
Apprenticeships and Traineeships for 2021 and beyond
The Careers Department can help students start planning their apprenticeships whilst still here at school. Students who are interested in apprenticeships or traineeships should book an appointment with myself or Ms Linda De Poi as there are several ways to start planning your future apprenticeship and traineeship. Below are some opportunities in South Australia.
2021 ASC Shipbuilding Readiness Training Program, Hunter Class Frigate project
BAE Systems and ASC Shipbuilding will present the School Based Apprenticeship opportunities for the 2021 Shipbuilding Readiness Training Program. They are looking for highly motivated individuals to join their workforce in January 2021. If you are currently studying Year 10 this could be the career opportunity for you.
Key information and application dates:
20 August, 9:00 am: St Patrick’s Technical College - ASC Shipbuilding Readiness Training Program Information session. Students and families welcome
24-28 August: Shipyard visits - Prospective applicants and families are welcomed to attend the shipyard
31 August: Applications open
25 September: Applications close
24 January 2021: Start date
School Based Apprenticeship opportunities in the following 4 trade areas:
- 14 Apprentice Steelworkers (Boilermaker/Welder – Heavy Fabrication)
- 2 Apprentice Sheet Metal Workers (Light Fabrication)
- 4 Apprentice Pipe Fitters (Boilermakers)
- 2 Apprentice Electricians
For more information visit https://careers.au.baesystems.com/campaign/asc_apprentices
Cavpower Apprenticeships 2021 - Diesel Mechanic (Heavy Vehicle)
As South Australia’s successful long term CAT dealer Cavpower have a reputation for
excellence and the best tradespeople in the business. Where better to master your
As a Cavpower Apprentice you will gain experience in the service and maintenance of
a range of construction and mining equipment, on-highway trucks, engines and power
systems manufactured by CAT. You will receive comprehensive theory training both in
our own training school and with TAFE. Once qualified you will be working on the
world’s most technically advanced earthmoving and mining equipment – the career
opportunities are endless.
If you have mechanical aptitude (and are studying towards Stage 1 or Stage 2 SACE),
Cavpower would like to hear from you. Completion of Certificate I or II in Automotive would be
highly regarded. Both full time and school based Apprenticeships are available.
Applications must include the following:
- A handwritten cover letter indicating why you believe you would be suited to an
- apprenticeship with Cavpower
- An up to date copy of your Resume
- A copy of your most recent school report.
Please visit our website to upload your application. Applications close on Monday 31st August 2020.
I know that is a lot to take in! For more information on any of the above resources please email me on email@example.com
Mrs Lisa McDonald
Vocational Services Co-ordinator