Foundation Breakfast 2021

I am sure many of our guests will agree with me that the Foundation Breakfast 2021 was a wonderful way to start the day!

The increasing interest in the event not only means a lot to the members of the Foundation, but also to the staff who assist the children attending on a Bursary.

Attendance at these events really does make a difference and sends a message to the Foundation members that people remain interested in what the Foundation is striving to do. The success of the event really surpassed our expectations.

We were expecting Dr Brendan Nelson AO (Class of 1975) as our guest speaker at the Foundation Breakfast. Unfortunately, due to the current climate in Sydney, Brendan was unable to fly into South Australia.  Whilst extremely disappointed that Brendan was not able to join us, the morning offered guests the opportunity to catch up with friends, reacquaint themselves with others and meet new people before heading off for the day. I remain hopeful that we will all get to hear Brendan’s message at a future event.

What was particularly pleasing about the morning was that so many of our guests represented the many community groups within the College.  Members of the College’s Leadership Team joined us consisting of Principal, Peter Coffey, Head of the Senior School, Phil Donato, Head of the Junior School, Nic Boys, Head of Business, Sam Trenerry, Head of Ignatius Early Years, Rosemary Allen, and Head of Studies and Innovation Kain Noack.  The Advancement staff were all there and without them a lot of what happens, just wouldn’t. College administration staff also came along. Members of the Parents and Friends Association attended, members of the Old Ignatian’s Association were there, the President of Fidelis attended and the College Board was also represented, and for the first time, we were joined by the College Captains. 

We were blessed to also have Bishop Greg O’Kelly SJ join us and it was wonderful to have him lead us in prayer.

The event also offered me the opportunity to introduce the current Foundation Board to those in attendance, and I now would also like to introduce them here.

The Deputy Chair is Dave Prescott.  Dave is an old scholar and a current parent of the College. Mike Ryan is also an old scholar and a past parent.  John Kavanagh joined us last year and is a current parent of the College. Cecilia White is also a current parent and married to an Old Ignatian and current staff member at the senior campus. Richard Scollin, along with his four brothers, is an Old Ignatian and his father, we believe, was a previous member of the Foundation. Jon Davis is an old scholar, a current parent and a parent of a recent old scholar, and we welcomed Stella Waugh to the Board at last month’s AGM.  Stella is a past parent and remains a very active member of the community.  Fr Peter Hosking SJ is also on the Board but unfortunately could not be there on the day. I am also a past parent and like Cecilia, married to an old Ignatian and current staff member of the Senior campus.

On behalf of the Foundation Board I offer a sincere thank you to those who attended on the day and to those who donated to event, for making it such a success.

To read an excerpt from the Chair’s speech please click here

Quote from a Current Bursary Recipient:
“… the help I have received by being able to attend Saint Ignatius’ College through the generous donations to the Bursary Fund by people I don’t know, is something that will remain with me for the rest of my life. I hope that I can use my education in my future and help others one day in the same way”.

With thanks
Susan Dodson
Chair, Foundation Board